Friday, October 17, 2008

Cake and fighting

I just wanted to come and say a very big thank you for all the birthday wishes I got from you all. I had a lovely day and it was enhanced by 21st century communications 'writing on my wall' and 'blog comments.'

This is my birthday cake as made by Daughter yesterday. We're holed up in the apartment for the start of the holiday, and with nothing to decorate the cake with, she used jam! I love it.

Fighting broke out on my birthday on the Thai/Cambodian border over a land dispute. We were going to Cambodia next week - I am beginning to wonder at our travel plans being jinxed - but we've decided not to go. We've changed our plans to stay safe. We'll go to the beach, my three can scuba dive and I can write.

My writing is going well. I sent my first 10,000 words to my mentor yesterday along with a 'sort of synopsis' which was the first time I had managed to cobble together on paper what the plan was. I am really excited about getting some feedback.

10 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Love your cake and glad you had a great day.

Such a shame that there's trouble on the border, but I'm sure you'll have a fun time on the beach. x

sheepish said...

The beach sounds good to me too. And only three years old or did daughter run out of candles or would it have caused the sprinklers to go off!!!!!
The writing sounds really positive too I can see I shall have to pull my finger out or be left behind. I never have liked being last so perhaps you will be my inspiration.

Jenny Beattie said...

Debs, it's sweet isn't it? Kids are delighted not to be trailing around old monuments and to scuba dive again!

Sheepish, we'll have fun at the beach. Yes, the cake just wasn't big enough for all the candles I'd need! Cheeky!

You will need to get a move on. I'm very focused now! (Scared of my mentor!)

Jen said...

Needless to say, that cake made me smile!

The fighting on the border sounds scary but, being holed up in the hols and writing because of unrest in your far-lung corner of the world will make for a great anecdote on the jacket of your novel :0)

Jenny Beattie said...

Jen, It would, wouldn't it? It'd only be a bit of a lie. We're holed up because we're all too idle to go out! There's no fighting on my street!

Lane Mathias said...

Such a nice jammy cake.

Beach sounds good to me. x

Yvonne said...

I love the jam, what a great idea! Your daughter sounds lovely. What a shame about Cambodia but better safe than sorry. I would love to visit the country eventually, my friend is just back from a year-long round the world trip and says Cambodia was her favourite place.

Sue Guiney said...

Great looking cake, and happy birthday once again! I have been trying to keep track on the recent violence between Thailand and Cambodia, but can't seem to get a sense of how serious it really is. The fact that you felt like you had to change your travel plans tells a lot. You'd be surprised how little press it's gotten over here (or maybe not). Stay safe over there, please.

Jenny Beattie said...

Lane, beach'll be gorg, I'm sure. Will we ever get to Angkor Wat, though? Been trying for three years.

Yvonne, thanks. really? Her fave place? I look forward to it...

Sue, it was a difficult decesion. I'm sure we would've been fine BUT Husband heard some of the trouble was moving away from the border and I just didn't want to take any risk with the kids...

Liane Spicer said...

Can't remember if I said it before (having a senior moment here) so happy birthday! That is the cutest cake.

You're really making headway with the writing - unlike some lazy people out here. **shifts eyes guiltily**