Sunday, April 22, 2012

The end of an era or the start of a new one


The days have been whizzing by disproportionately fast here at The House. I think it’s because we have exams approaching: the hours have telescoped and May is hurtling towards us whether we’re ready or not.

The giant kids will have one last week in school (from tomorrow) and then BAM! Exams. Gulp. Then Son will venture out into the world (with any luck) and Daughter will never wear school uniform again. Really, it’s the end of an era; or perhaps it’s just the start of another.

We holed up at home during Songkran (Thai new year.) The kids were (hopefully) revising. I was hiding from the inevitable street water fights in spite of the phwoar heat here at the moment. Going outside is a grim experience; it’s as though someone’s left the oven on. I do see the water fight point but I’m not going to get wet to relieve it. (I think I was a cat in a previous life. I just hate to be wet.)

On Wednesday we celebrated Son and Husband’s birthdays. Son is now an adult – at least in the eyes of the law. There’s been a lot of cake: not just for the birthday but because Daughter’s idea of relaxation is to bake! For the birthday, she made 'light chocolate cake' from Harry Eastwood’s Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache book. Every time we make it, I declare it THE BEST chocolate cake I’ve EVER tasted.

I haven’t managed to get back to jewellery class yet and that’ll have to fit in with the exam timetable and my new, secret project which starts tomorrow.

6 comments:

Ragged Thread Cartographer said...

Songkran looks brilliant - fun and thoughtful. Happy New year! And isn't it amazing when families share birthdays? It ought to be weird but it happens so often. Hope we hear about the secret project one day... good luck! x

Jenny Beattie said...

RTC, Songkran is brilliant (unless you're a cat.) It must be experienced to be believed and I have done it... it was mad but you know, I'd rather stay dry... Pathetic, I know. All those days the baby could arrive and it comes on someone else's birthday. Yes, it is extraordinary. I'm sure you'll hear about the secret project soon. I'm lousy with secrets!

sheepish said...

Can't wait to hear about the secret project, promise not to tell anyone if you feel like telling me all about it!!!!

hausfrau said...

We too are racing towards exams: Eldest to her last lot before she leaves home and Youngest to the first lot of modular GCSEs. Eighteen doesn't hit til the end of July but I find it hard to believe - not that she's not thoroughly grown up, more that it doesn't seem a moment since she was little!

Anonymous said...

Thrilled that I came across your blog...from ABSPD. I love slipping into unknown cultures and i can see myself getting very lost in yours! Julie

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen, are the exams over yet? The link to the chocolate cake isn't there any more - I was taking inspiration from the blog and checking out the recipe!! Could you post/email it to me? Jane x