Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Busy busy busy

Yesterday I was at a travel writing workshop at the library. It was helpful for one of my four commissions because I hadn't quite worked out how to tackle it. I feel a bit closer to sorting it out now. *Waves* at L and any of the other attendees who might drop by.

I'm typing this while I sit at the visa office. Our first visa lasted eighteen months and subsequent applications have been annual. Husband's company, like most corporations, have solicitors to do it for us. We sign all the paperwork and collect photographs, passports and Husband's work permit to send in for the application. All the papers are in Thai and filled in for us. I have no idea what they say. Finally the whole family have to show up at the visa office.

Our solicitor will queue up at fourteen different counters collecting stamps and possibly official signatures, run back to Husband who will have to sign things in triplicate. Finally we will be ushered in to see a colonel who may or may not make small talk (the children have been lectured as to the acceptable replies to queries made to them by the colonel.)

I've heard horror stories (probably apocryphal) from people who have to do this on their own. If you only manage to get nine queues and seven signatures achieved, and have to come back the following day to finish the process, I'm told you have to start right back at the beginning. It's enough to give me the heebie jeebies.

Every year I offer a prayer to the visa fairies for giving us the help.

After the visa I'll take the kids into school and then return home where fellow novel racer, CC Devine is coming on her way back to Bangkok from Koh Samed. We're going to go off somewhere to drink tea and talk writing which will be lovely. I can't wait.

Sent via BlackBerry® from AIS

9 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

Oh berlimey - the visa process sounds as if it requires a zen amount of patience. Have a great time with CC.

Cheryl said...

Sounds like a nightmare!

Have a great time with CC. I was very pleased to be able to meet her at Cally Taylor's book launch myself.

Lane Mathias said...

Cripes. Hope the via fairies were kind.

Also hope you've had a lovely time with CC.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Phew, that doesn't sound easy at all.

Hope it all went well.

HelenMWalters said...

Lucky you. Not the visa thing, but the drinking tea with CC and talking about writing thing.

Flowerpot said...

Sounds like a nightmare JJ but hope it all goes well and you've had a good time woith CC.

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a lovely time with CC Devine.

CJ xx

Kat W said...

Wow I think I'd have a break down even with the solicitor's help.

But at least the ordeal is cushioned by two nice outings: the workshop and tea with CC.

Jen said...

Yuck to the visa lark but yay for writerly natterings with lovely CC! Wish I was there with you both X