Thursday, September 02, 2010

Have you played 'What's in the box?' Well, don't.


I’ve come to tell you that I survived yesterday – just. I’m only a tiny bit traumatized.

Today the new apartment looks terrifyingly like the photo in yesterday's post.

So entirely pushed to my limits was I by the evening that I was fit to commit all sorts of crimes but fortunately for everyone else I was just too exhausted; a total waste of space by about 8.30.

Knickers and undercrackers going missing have been one of our problems. Noooo, not like someone had a fetish and has been swiping them… I mean more like there are 350 boxes and your knickers are probably in one of them but everything’s labeled in Thai by the packers so it’s like a huge game of ‘guess what’s in the box.’ Have you every played that? Don’t is my advice. When you’re properly pooped and you know that all the underwear’s gone missing but actually you can’t worry about that because you won’t need them until tomorrow morning and further up your priority list should be the bed sheets and pillows which you are going to need much sooner… not to mention the loo roll.

Anyway, Daughter’s knickers were located after she'd left for school this morning in my wardrobe (I wish.) Don’t worry, Daughter had packed some extra pairs separately because she didn’t get her organizational genes from me. And a pair of undercrackers were found for Husband  – we suspect they might be Son’s but beggars can’t be choosers - in the clean washing pile that came separately but that’s only given us a stay of execution… Top of the list today is:

1. Find Husband some undercrackers for tomorrow.

14 comments:

Queenie said...

If all else fails, you can go shopping, I guess.

Hope you get straightened out soon.

Unknown said...

Hugs...before long you will have it sorted.

lx

Chris Stovell said...

Poor you, that's a very dull game - and so timeconsuming when you want to be writing. Hope everyone's undercarriages are properly clad soon.

Carol said...

Oh I remember that feeling very well!! You'll get there honey and it will feel like home before you know it!

I like Queenies suggestion...when all else fails you can always go buy some...you can never have too many pants :-)

C x

Liz said...

When we moved house when I was 14 I learnt the word 'miscellaneous' and used it on quite a few boxes - meaning that when we got to the other end I had no idea what was in any of them! Now I'm a very anal box labeller and probably go too far in the other direction.

Good luck with the unpacking!

DJ Kirkby said...

What? You mean you can't read Thai yet? *tut* No really, I do sympathise and hope you get it all sorted before you collapse.

HelenMWalters said...

It will get more organised soon - honest x

DOT said...

It is always knickers with girls and socks with me, or so I have found.

Keep the faith. As a compulsive mover everything finds its way into the right drawers [boom! boom!] sooner than later. x

Susie Vereker said...

Moving is a nightmare but sounds as if it will be worth it. I do sympathise, but think how great you will feel when it's done and put away. I still find boxes in the attic here labelled 'LMP 2004' LMP stands for Last Minute Panic.

Lane Mathias said...

Hope all your knik knox are in order now:-)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Gawd, I do hope you all find your knickers soon. I'll bet you can't wait to have all those boxes unpacked and cleared away.

sheepish said...

I don't want to worry you but we have been here over two and a half years and we still have some unopened boxes. However its very exciting when we make enough room to open another box. I expect you are feeling much better already.

CC Devine said...

Your post made me giggle, but I do sympathise. The chaos of a move and the sheer physical exhaustion at the end of it is overwhelming.

A friend in bit of a fix may be moving into my titchy flat for a couple of months which would mean me moving back to my mum's and the prospect of boxing up again fills me with dread!

Cx

Angie said...

Oh dear, sounds frightening, but that did make me giggle. Hope things are more settled now. xx