Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Here I am (and some friends)


Awww, you are so lovely. I’ve had kind messages asking why I’m not blogging. Am I still unpacking? (Pah, no, there are still boxes everywhere.) Thank you to those that have told me (or Husband) they missed my posts. *Waves* to those in the office.

I think I underestimated the stress of moving… and I’ve been feeling down in the dumps but yesterday I woke to find my low mood has lifted and I’m feeling back to normal (whatever normal is…)

Sometimes life in Thailand is hard. You might want to locate something but you don’t know where to find it and your Thai will only stretch to ‘where’s the loo? ‘Please could I have chicken fried rice’ and ‘I want to go to soi 42.’ So, lovely readers in Thailand… more specifically, lovely readers who are Thai natives, I wonder if you can help me. I need someone to do some research for me. Mostly I eventually find things but this one’s a bit obscure.

I need to buy a child-sized mannequin.  There are several types of mannequin. A is a display mannequin – you see her in shop windows wearing and hopefully selling clothes. B is what I call a dressmaker’s dummy (I don’t mean to be rude; I’m sure s/he’s no dummy) and s/he’s usually soft so you can stick pins in her/him.

And really what I want is C (because they are pose-able) but I might have to compromise because of cost and availability. I’ve had a look in the Pratunam Centre at a place I know has shop fittings including mannequins but they didn’t have what I wanted. I suspect the general answer will be ‘Chinatown’ but that’s a big place… 

Can anyone narrow it down a bit? Feel free to email me – find the address on the profile page – if you don’t want to comment.

Thank you in advance.

11 comments:

Nett said...

Thanks for blogging! My vocab of the day is 'Mannequin'. Hope Kate and I could help you find what you want. ^___^

Sue Guiney said...

Hmm...I'm assuming your stress levels haven't driven you to something kinky with those mannequins :-)

Queenie said...

Glad you're OK, honey - I was wondering. If you can't find one in Bangkok, there are lots online e.g. here http://creatifleven.rtrk.co.uk/?scid=26929&kw=6305986&pub_cr_id=5345748708

Jenny Beattie said...

Hello Nett, no problem. Word of the day? I expect you to use mannequin at least three times then! Thank you. Anything you can find out would be great. The ones on the internet are definitely made in China... so I'm sure I'll find them somewhere.

Sue, *blushes* they do look a bit kinky don't they?

Queenie, thanks lovely. I've seen 'C' on a website and have sent a message to the company but usually it's the import duty....

Leigh Forbes said...

Can't help with the mannequins (obv), but am glad the low mood has buggered off and you can blog again! Yey!

Kate said...

Pls try these links:

http://www.nofreactor.com/?ContentID=ContentID-080418104512155

http://www.sabuyjaishop.com/shop/Dollymannequin/default.aspx?page=productgallery&url=Dollymannequin&category=0003&lang=TH

Let me know the model you like, I can contact for you.

Chris Stovell said...

Can't help with the mannequins but it's good to see you out and about.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn’t have a clue where to find that kind of stuff. I’ll ask Mrs S because she’s into sewing and handicraft and all that jazz, but don’t hold your breath waiting. Now if you’d asked about fruit, vegetables, or pattaya salad (som tam)…..

Very pleased to see you back and know that you’re feeling a little more perky.

All the best, Boonie
PS: Just asked Mrs S. She says Chinatown. That’s not any help is it…..

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I've no idea about the mannequins, but it's good to know you're feeling better.

Jenny Beattie said...

Leigh, thank you.

Kate, ooh, thank you. I will check them out when I get back today.

Chris, thank you. A relief all round I'd say.

Boonie, Chinatown! I knew it... I wish my Thai was better...

Debs, thank you.

Christopher-Gaspar said...

Living in a place where your not fluent in the language can be a bit hard. Just remember to smile. =)

Chris
http://www.dailyjobfinder.wordpress.com