Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What else I've been doing...


Back in January/February, my friend Sharon mentioned to me that she was doing the Moonwalk in June, in Iceland and asked if I’d consider helping her decorate her bra.

I knew of the Moonwalk – not the Michael Jackson version - Walk the Walk, a nighttime, marathon length charity walk that raised money for breast cancer charities. Some friends of mine had done in London some years before I moved to Bangkok so I knew two things about it: that it’s pretty tough and that the (mostly) women entrants were expected to decorate their bras to wear on display.

Sharon’s Moonwalk was happening in Iceland so she wanted something that reflected that destination. There was NO way I was going to refuse a commission like that. Sharon ordered a hot pink bra, I started sketching and then we set off together to Chinatown to buy sequins…

Over the following three weeks I sewed and sewed, sequin after sequin, followed by ribbon and here's how it looked:

First there was the design... followed by the planning.

Each sequin went on one by one. The silver ones were sewn onto silver fabric first, and then each snowflake went onto the bra.

I began to see sequins. I used the ribbon to turn the sports bra into something plunging and prettier...

More space. More sequins needed. There's no room for subtlety...

Finally, the fringing and then the TA-DAAAA: the finished bra.

Sharon raised £3400 for breast cancer charities. You can see her fundraising page here and more about the moonwalk here.

5 comments:

Pauline Spiers said...

Fantastic job Jenny - you did her proud! x

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVED my bra and was so grateful to you Jenny. You are so talented xx

Chris Stovell said...

Golly, you are SO talented - that looks amazing.
Lovely to see you back too!

Carol said...

That's amazing (not that I'm surprised!)...well done Jen.

AND

Well done to Sharon...that is an awesome amount of money to raise!

C x

Sue Guiney said...

My God! Tbis is fantastic! Congrats to you both.