Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What kind of writer?

I went and did the quiz that’s doing the rounds: ‘What type of writer should you be? I'm not posting the code because I just can't bring myself to say it outloud. Instead I've copied and pasted what it said about me.

The answer I anticipated was ‘Really, you’re so resistant to writing, you should go away and think of something else to do with your life.’

But, the real answer was almost as bizarre:

Your ideas are very strange, and people often wonder what planet you're from.

And while you may have some problems being "normal," you'll have no problems writing sci-fi.

Whether it's epic films, important novels, or vivid comics...Your own little universe could leave an important mark on the world!

Well, I know a few people who'd agree with that summary, but really ... a quiz being so personal: I'm slightly affronted.

10 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

That's a real writers summary:-)

You can write anything

Kaz Augustin said...

C'mon, come clean. It said you should be a SCIENCE-FICTION WRITER. You say you're affronted. As an s-f/romance writer, should I be affronted that you're affronted? ;)

Jenny Beattie said...

Oh Lane, it was the 'people often wonder what planet you're from' comment, and now I'm upsetting people (see below).

Kaz (hello and welcome, is this your first and last visit all in one - since I've upset you already?) No, it's an odd one because I've never read any science fiction - not because I don't rate it but it doesn't do it for me - I like realism in my fiction.

I'm affronted by it's comments that i'm odd, not normal and oft considered to be other worldly!

Sorry, didn't mean to do any Sci fi bashing!

Jjx

Karen said...

So - what planet ARE you from?

Maybe you have a hidden talent for sci-fi writing that has yet to be uncovered!

Yvonne said...

I did that quiz, and apparently I should be a film writer, regardless of the fact that I can't sit through most films and would always prefer a good book! And I wouldn't agree with the 'other world' thing, you're definitely grounded on this one!

Carol said...

LOL.....it was the 'and while you may have some problems being normal' that did it!! I nearly spat tea on my laptop!!!

C x

Pacha said...

"while you may have some problems being "normal" --- can't stop laughing! I possibly would be affronted too although not being normal tends to be a compliment when writers and writing is concerned!

I did this quiz earlier and it said I was a poet. Which made me laugh. I may write poetry but it is extremely crapulous (your word) poetry!

Jenny Beattie said...

Karen, hmmm, I'm not sure. The talent is so far hidden, I've not discovered it yet!

Yvonne, "you can't sit through most films"? Can't you? Why?

Carol, when I said "I know a few people who'd agree with that summary" I did mean YOU! I'm glad it gave you a laugh...

Pacha, you think I could pass as eccentric then? It did make me chuckle though (at the same time as being slightly affronted). I'm so glad you like my word, crapulous, it's rather fab, isn't it?

JJx

Yvonne said...

I tend to get fidgetty when I watch films, especially the big Hollywood ones, I can find them quite passive. The odd one is great though!

laurie said...

sci fi? JJ, i have to think of you in a whole new way now.