Monday, October 26, 2009

Letter to Brain

The Towers
Bangkok

Dear Brain

When I said to Susan ‘I don’t need to worry about the Melbourne Cup hats until I get back to Bangkok’ I didn’t mean the very first night I got back. I had just done a long haul flight and could really have done with the sleep. You, Brain, would have benefitted from said sleep. And, there were after all, only a few hours left on the Sunday; worrying could have waited until Monday. You know, daylight hours? Then I could have done something practical about the worrying.

I didn’t mean you to think that waking me at 1.30am after two hours sleep on the very first day I got home, and keeping me conscious and worrying about design and technical putting together of hat until 5.30am was necessary: particularly not when the alarm goes off at 5.45am.

See, Brain, it's now 9.20am on Monday and I need a night's sleep already.

They are just hats; how hard can they be? Don’t answer that. I know that you think assembling and subsequently hiding the feathers’ join seems a similar challenge to splitting the atom… but you know, I don’t think it will be. We have a glue gun, UHU, staplers and a needle and thread. I've even purchased some of those eyelet things. You do, after all, in your dim and distant past have a degree in sculpture: I reckon we can do this, you and I. We can put together a fascinator/hat thingummyjig - alright, thirteen fascinator/hat thingummyjigs to make everyone happy.

Anyway, Brain, I just wanted to send you this message to let you know that if I spend some of today working on the design (that’s if I can stay awake) I would really appreciate some sleep tonight. Okay?

Love JJx

8 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

Lol. Too lol. Hope you get some sleep and a less agitated brain soon!

Queenie said...

Tee hee! Glad you got home safely x

Carol said...

LOL!!! I need to write a similar letter to my Brain regarding fretting at 3am!!

C x

sheepish said...

It must a female thing, worrying about unimportant matters in the wee small hours. Glad you are safely home.
I think your hat making will take up a HUGE amount of your time.Well I hope so anyway. LOL!!!!!!

Beth said...

Last Sunday night I didn't get to sleep until about 2.30am, and had to get up for work at 6.30am. And guess what? Same thing last night. I ended up washing up and then doing my ironing. Another 4 hours' sleep before work, and it just isn't enough!

Hope we both get a much better night tonight :)

Cheryl said...

Oh dear - I hate losing sleep. And why is it that I see the word brain as brian, so now I think your brain is called brian. Oh i think i need some sleep!

Jenny Beattie said...

DJ, I did, thanks. Much better today.

Queenie, thank you.

Carol, why do we do that? Why can't we still sleep like babies?

Sheepish, *Sigh* I dare say it will but I've got to get over the jetlag too... more sighs.

B, OMG, you're so good. I mostly stayed in bed trying to persuade brain I should sleep but I did get up briefly to play Bejewelled!

Lily, LOL, I can't tell you how many times I checked I'd written brain and not brian. I am so with you... Brian my brain!

Beth said...

ha, it was only because part of what was keeping me awake was the horror of actually having to do it all the next day! ;)