Monday, November 23, 2009

It seems I must blog...

This ‘not blogging’ thing isn’t really working. Ever since I said I hadn’t got time for blogging, I’ve done considerably fewer words. Maybe blogging is my warm up…

So, I missed word count confession yesterday because I was out gallivanting. This week’s words then are 3,584 which is a fine and dandy word count but if I want to finish the draft by the end of the month, I’ve got to do better than that.

I finally finished Love in the time of Cholera which had been November’s book club’s choice and I hadn’t managed to finish for the meeting. Each time I picked up the book to read it I enjoyed it but I was never desperate to get back to it. It felt a bit like wading through treacle – quite pleasant but hard work. I think if I’d studied it I would have enjoyed it so much more. Is that okay? It’s not the immediate gratification that I want with a book I’m reading for pleasure but the depth of love can be so much greater if it’s been studied. Does anyone write with the hope that their book will be studied rather than just read?

Why is Florentino Ariza so entirely revolting? With his comb over and his constipation? Is it simply that love conquers all or have I missed something?

I don’t know what’s possessed me but my next choice is The Time Traveller’s Wife. No, *sigh* I haven’t read it already: my heart sinks at the notion of time travel – it’s the suspension of disbelief that I struggle with. Still, it was held up somewhere recently as a fine example of moving its readers (making them weep for all the right reasons) and I found myself thinking ‘oh, okay, perhaps I’d better read that.’ And... it has been on my TBR shelf for years and I'm getting SOOO much grief for the overflowingness of the TBR book shelves at at the moment that I thought I'd better read it… one down, 352 books to go.
*

17 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I have The Time Traveller's Wife on my tbr pile too and keep meaning to get round to reading it.

Great word count by the way.

Carol said...

I adored The Time Traveller's Wife and am looking forward to reading her new one too!!

Fantastic word count!!

C x

Rachel Green said...

I gave up on my TBR pile and just dip in and out of it now.

Sue Guiney said...

I've also given up on having any system to my tbr. Whatever strikes me at the moment of choosing is what gets read next, it seems. Not very fair, but especially with more and more friends getting published (you'll be on the list too, I'm sure), it's getting harder to get the timing right!

Kat W said...

Good word count - well done!

The Time Traveller's Wife is one of my favourite ever contemporary books. I loved it. Sadly someone has borrowed my copy & not returned it - I've been asking around but I can't seem to find the culprit. I like the book so much that I'd buy another copy once I have the pennies.

X

sheepish said...

I too loved the Time Travellers Wife. I want to read it again so it must be good. Already congratulated you on your word count so I wont do it again.

lillian said...

I enjoyed the Time Travellers Wife sooo much ! Makes me thankful that the only time travel I do is across time zones lol

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I still haven't made it through my copy of Love in the time of Cholera either.

But, I wish I could go back and read The Time Traveller's Wife for the first time! Loved that book.

Helen P said...

I share your hesitation about suspending disbelief when reading TTW and have to say I couldn't; I ran out of belief about two thirds of the way through which is a shame because I remember reading H G well's The Time Machine in one sitting when I was 13 (and believing in it totally!)

Jenny Beattie said...

Thanks Debs. I have to confess to quite enjoying it so far. My new mantra is 'think of it as a love story...'

Oh Carol, did you? We do have a venn diagram, hon, don't we? But I can't be sure where it's located...

Rachel, mine isn't in any order. I choose according to how I feel.

Sue, I'm with you on that. It's the mood; I love that choosing 'how do I feel? What mood?' (I do hope you're right there, in your prediction...)

Kat, Oh no. Isn't that the worst thing?

Sheepish, thank you oh woolly one. How's your research going?

Lillian, are you still across the soi? I'm enjoying it so far... but I'm not reliable. I could get half way through and then toss it away for being silly and asking me to believe such nonsense.

Clover, I'm ashamed to say I contemplated not finishing Love in the Time of Cholera but I did want to know how it ended.

Helen, that's interesting because I don't remember always being so rabidly anti non realism. I obviously developed this later in life.

Beth said...

it probably helps that TTTW doesn't try to explain, because the reasoning wouldn't ever work. It just happens.

I loved it. Although apparently it's quite problematic when you stop to think about the health of their relationship. ah well *sigh*

Liane Spicer said...

352 to go? You make my TBR pile look positively mingy by comparison.

A friend took me to see Cholera before I had a chance to read the book. I did not enjoy the movie. The main character was one of the most unsympathetic I've met. I felt ill at some point and had to go outside for some air. I blame the story. It might have been the shrimp I ate just before going in. As a result, Marquez's other books continue to languish on my wish list.

PS: Blog if you must! That's a pretty good word count! :)

PSS: Word verif is hobbit. Reminds me of my own issues with suspension of belief.

Liane Spicer said...

Uh, PPS... I didn't mean to hiss.

HelenMWalters said...

You'll be through that TBR pile before you know it.

DJ Kirkby said...

Just caught up on your blog posts,keep them coming. That email from your husband about yoru books was very funny! As for the crying in Starbucks well I never have understood why so many people like to write in there. What's wrong with writing at home? x

Flowerpot said...

I enjoyed TTW but there were aspects of it I found incredibly irritating - namely the jumping backwards and forwards. I never knew what was going on!

Anonymous said...

I sometimes start reading books that are like wading through treacle - that's a great term of phrase.

And I think blogging encourages me to write also.

Good luck with it all.
CJ xx