Saturday, April 03, 2010

Thoughts in progress


I haven’t stopped thinking about Suzanne CollinsHunger Games. I started the book with a view to reading a bit to see how she created so much tension and I got hooked. I couldn't put it down and may even have to read the second book, Catching Fire.

I’m afraid I’m not normally interested in the sci fi/post apocalyptic genre – having said that, I loved Cormac McCarthy’s The Road – and as Carol pointed out in the comments the other day, I also loved Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. Blimey, before I know it I’m going to be writing fantasy sci fi, futuristic world stuff. Maybe not.

Anyway what I’ve been thinking about is that it’s all about a creating a believable world isn’t it? And just because my book is set in 20th and 21st century Weald of Kent in England it doesn’t mean my book’s setting has to be less believable because it’s real. What was brilliant about Hunger Games is that I totally bought the world. It was a brilliant mixture of classical references and modern with a push to the extreme.

It makes me realize that the setting that’s another thing that’s not right about my work in progress. I’m considering putting the whole thing through the shredder and then sellotaping it back together to see if there’s any improvement.

8 comments:

Fran Hill said...

McCarthy's The Road is on my to-do list, although everyone says it is dead depressing.

Jenny Beattie said...

It is a terrible scenario and I wouldn't ever have picked it up but my friend Julia recommended it... so I did. And while I can't work out why it was wonderful, there were so many things about it though that made me stop and think.

Queenie said...

Shredder and sellotape probably not the best idea you've ever had. Why not try editing? ;-) Don't despair, you'll get there.

HelenMWalters said...

I think shredding and sellotaping back together is probably a little too extreme x I agree with Queenie.

Denise said...

Maybe the sellotape without the shredding? I quite like the Blue Peter approach to editing, or maybe I just enjoy the time it takes to chop up bits of paper rather than doing anything with them...

Angie said...

Back away from the shredder, JJ! Sometimes the necessary changes are much smaller than they seem at first glance. You're probably being too hard on yourself (but I empathize).
I've been wanting to read The Hunger Games. The Road looks bleak, but I keep hearing great things, so I might have to add it to the list.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Forget the shredder idea and go with the editing. You will get there. x

DJ Kirkby said...

Don't you DARE shred anything! No writing is ever wasted. Why not distract yourself from those unhealthy urges by visiting my Chez Aspie blog before Monday evening for a want a chance to treat your husband's inner geek for free?