Wednesday, May 04, 2011

My favourite people in Bangkok

While the rest of the world (barring the conchies and the cynics) were watching the wedding, I was being a tourist and gallivanting around Bangkok with my brother.

These chaps (at Wat Pho) are among my favourite people in Bangkok. During the time of King Rama III these stone figures came from China to Bangkok to act as ballast on the returning royal rice boats.

(I couldn't disappear without leaving you a picture of the Reclining Buddha: the beauty and sheer size stuns me every time.)

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos! – as always from you. I very much agree with your assessment of the Reclining Buddha.

All the best, Boonie

Jenny Beattie said...

Thanks Boonie. It seems impossible to get a picture of the RB that actually shows its scale... I love it. Its toes are beautiful.