Monday, January 23, 2012

No more apologising


I read recently a load of old letters from my early days in Bangkok. Severals things struck me about their tone but the most depressing thing was that practically every single one began with an apology. I'm sorry I have taken so long to write; sorry not to write sooner; sorry. Sorry. Sorry. God it was depressing.

A woman in Gap dressing room in New York once told me off for apologising. I'd only been with her for 35 seconds.

There's going to be no more apologising for sporadic posting.

I missed making a fuss of Tea Stains birthday on Friday. So what? I'm not offended and actually, I toasted it several times during the day; the best one being at lunch, with a dahl and a fizzy water in a pretty blue glass. Yay. Get me.

But five years of blogging: that's not bad huh?

I am having a little bit of a change of direction. I am out playing with different ideas. I suppose I shall come here at some point and let you know how and why. Maybe.

In the meantime,

Happy New Lunar Year


7 comments:

CL Taylor said...

Happy blogiversary Jen! I'm a sporadic blogger too at the moment. No apologies, sometimes you're just too busy living to write about it!

Anonymous said...

I am a serial apologiser and have been told since I was young to stop. I still do it but not as much - it's pretty sad to hear my 2 year old apologising though...he could only have picked it up off the person who is around him the most :(

Jen said...

Sporadic is the new black, doncha know? I think we're almost all in the same blogging boat these days.

5 years eh? That's pretty amazing - bottoms up :0)

Sue Guiney said...

happy blogaversary to you, and to Cally, too. I'm in the same boat...HMS Sorry. Do it all the time, too. I assume it has to do with self-esteem issues. maybe if I just pretend to be confident I really will be some day. Do stay in touch one way or another. And have fun, whatever you do. Xoxo

Jenny Beattie said...

Cally, absolutely. I do so beat myself up. You have an excellent excuse: you must think about His Nibs FIRST.

TEW, it's a horrible habit isn't it? I think at the time it's the right thing to do and then when I read ALL those letters, I sounded such a wuss.

Jen, excellent: bang on trend then. If it's all the same to you, I'll keep my bottom down...

Sue, thank you. I don't think I'll be going anywhere, but if I do I will keep in touch all those other ways...

Helen said...

Am I trendy too? I don't blog regularly either...

I remember when I first started writing I would love it when a novel racer updated their blog. But now we are all on FB, twitter etc and, well, it's not the same.

Chris Stovell said...

Wah! That's me too... I've also been told off for apologising too much. Then said sorry. *shakes head*.

Congratulations on five years... hmm, just realised it'll be five years for me in April too.