Monday, September 07, 2009

Call yourself a writer?

DJ tagged for this meme. I am off on a writing course all day today at the Neilson Hays Library, so this is a perfect post for today.

1. Which words do you use too much in your writing?
Words which dictate meticulous detail of the physical movement of my characters. I think I’m a frustrated film director.

2. Which words do you consider overused in stuff you read?
The ones that should have been edited out.

3. What's your favourite piece of writing by you?
Anything that makes me laugh because then I feel terribly clever.

4. Which blog post do you wish you had written?
Anything that makes me laugh because I am very envious of people that can consistantly write funny.

5. Regrets. Do you have a few? Is there anything you wish you hadn't written?
Nope: it’s waste of energy (but so is worrying and I do plenty of that.) I would be sad to think I’d written something that might have hurt someone.

6. How has your writing made a difference? What do you consider your most important piece of writing?
I am surprised at how it alters my mood for the better. I suppose the most important piece is the piece I’m doing here and now (whenever that is.)

7. Name three favourite words
I’ve done this before in a meme on TeaStains, so I had to go looking for it. According to that meme my favourite words are: ‘Bollocks,’ ‘vituperative’ and ‘elderly.’ I also like ‘presbyopic’ and ‘discombobulated.’

8. ....And three words you're not so keen on.
Uhm, I can’t think of any though my BF, The High Priestess of Punk-chew-ation loathes the word ‘moist.’ If you talk to her about moist belly buttons, she’ll really freak out.

9. Do you have a writing mentor, role model or inspiration?
I’ve just finished the six sessions with my mentor through The Literary Consultancy and have the industry day and the ms read to go. Also the friends I’ve made through the Novel Racers have been a huge inspiration and support.

10.What's your writing ambition?
To write entertaining stories well.

I am passing this on to YOU. Please take it if you like it. I'm going to be late for the library...

8 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

Great answers. I like your fave words.

Flowerpot said...

Hope the course goes well JJ! Good meme - will apply brain cells to t later.

sheepish said...

Hi just to say that I am updating my wordcount but I think it is fairly accurate, so I am giving you a head start!!! So we are off and running, shall we have a weekly wordcount?
Have a good day.

Rachel Green said...

It's surprising how many people don't like 'moist'

Carol said...

For me it's the word 'nice'....I just can't stand it!! I think it stems from my Mum's comments along the lines of 'You don't look nice in that!' 'Nice girls don't wear that' etc

C x

Chris Stovell said...

ewwww! So with her on the moist belly buttons!!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I'm going to have to look 'vituperative' up. Wonderful word though, whatever it means.

Great answers.

HelenMWalters said...

Great answers. I must get around to doing this one.