Saturday, May 08, 2010

Normal

This is still the normal sight if you go out in Bangkok at the moment.

It's raging hot here so yesterday I took a taxi to deliver some money for a friend but then I walked home along Sukhumvit. There were soldiers inside and outside Chavit Park near Nana skytrain and then again outside Asok sky train. Canvas tents have been erected to provide shade for them.

On most of the over road walk way things (the technical term) there were also pairs of soldiers. I crossed over from Times Square to Robinsons and asked these chaps if I could take a photo of them.  They were very obliging.

The PM's road map isn't pleasing all of the people. There were attacks in Bangkok's business district, Silom again last night; two dead and at least seven injured.

7 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

You were brave to ask if you could take a photo! Glad you're still ok and I hope it's all over soon. xo

Queenie said...

From what I read, the situation is so volatile and feelings are running so high that nothing is going to please all of the people - or, perhaps, even placate enough of them for peace to break out. The Red Shirts seem to be distancing themselves from these latest attacks, but I'm not sure whether that makes things better or worse. I do hope the negotiators find a way to reach an agreement soon.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I do hope that things start to get sorted out soon and this isn't your normal any more.

Talli Roland said...

I'm with DJ - you were brave to ask! I always try to slink by soliders with guns; they make me so nervous.

Hope you're all doing OK with all the tension there.

Jen said...

Crumbs, what a bizarre reality to be living in... I do hope you're writing down every scrap. One day it'll seem incredible that this was your 'normal'.

Chris Stovell said...

If that's normal I'll bet you'll be glad when things get back to abnormal.

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Must be very frightening. As DJ said, you were very brave to ask.

XX