Thursday, June 24, 2010

The best medicine

It's impossible to stay sad in Bangkok.

I had a couple of errands to do yesterday. The first job took me to the heart of Ratchaprasong, Bangkok's shopping district. This area was where the Red Shirts made their camp. The 'Together We Can' campaign, instigated by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration attempted to liven up central Bangkok have been promoting all kinds of projects over recent weeks. A couple of weekends ago, Silom became a walking street full of market vendors; Ratchaprasong saw volunteers planting up some of the areas that had been damaged during the unrest.

Yesterday, outside Amarin mall, were was another shopping promotion going on: big signs boasted 70 - 80 % off and there were some night market stalls along the pavement. I was on the walkway when I spotted this video opportunity.

Something went wrong in the uploading to YouTube process so I've lost the sound but you'll still see why I couldn't help but feel happy. (Any shaking of the camera will be due to my laughter.)

I love this place.

10 comments:

Queenie said...

Brilliant! I think their timing needs a little work - but ten out of ten for exuberance!

Julia Bell said...

I miss Thailand . . . sigh . . . Julia xx

Flowerpot said...

Brilliant and as you say, good for cheering!

Anonymous said...

And for one brief moment it looked as if the right hand knew what the left one was doing - but only for a brief moment.
Great fun!

Thanks for this excellent entry.

All the best, Boonsong

Lane Mathias said...

I love the (what looks like waitress) joining in near the end:-)

These chaps need a plaza not a pavement:-)

Sue Guiney said...

Hysterical! And slightly surreal without the music, except I kept finding myself humming along anyway...hmmm....

Carol said...

Hahahaha, it is things like that that I miss!! Still, only two months to go till we're over on holiday :-)

C x

Liz said...

Love it! It's almost better without the sound - you can imagine them dancing to a whole variety of music...line-dancing, the macarena, a Maori haka...

Jenny Beattie said...

Queenie, aren't they funny. I laugh every time I think of them.

Julia, ahhh, I hope you're keeping your fingers crossed for us to stay... then you can come back.

Flowerpot, very cheering.

Boonsong, oh you made me laugh out loud. Thank you.

Lane, I hadn't noticed her. She's certainly up for a bit of a wiggle, isn't she?

Sue, the 'music' was quite funny too. It was competing with something from the market stalls they were cheering each other on. Really funny.

Carol, I'm keeping my fingers crossed we're still here...

Liz, absolutely. I'm slightly frustrated that I don't know why the sound disappeared, though.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Lovely, and so strange that no one seems to be paying them much attention at all.