Thursday, October 28, 2010

Here's one I made earlier...


Six weeks ago: someone asks me if I’d like to join their friend’s table for the Melbourne Cup charity lunch at the beginning of November. I don’t know everyone on the table but I say yes.

Five weeks ago: someone mentions that there’s a theme to our fascinators. (A fascinator is a headpiece – not as full as a hat; it perches on the side of your head.) Someone has seen a picture that they like and perhaps we could find someone to make them.

Four and a half weeks ago: no-one’s quite sure who the twelve women are on the table but someone thinks one of the other women has an idea for a fascinator.

Four weeks ago: No-one has contacted K or I talk about hats. I wonder if K and I are control freaks. But no-one else seems to be worried that no-one knows anything.

Three and a half weeks ago: K emails some of the women she does know to find out what is being proposed. I hear from K that one person answered the email and they think someone had an idea for a fascinator. Maybe we can find someone to make it for us.

Three weeks ago: I start thinking, I google, look at magazines and books. I send K a picture. We wait a bit because one of the women knows that someone had seen a picture they liked for our fascinators and maybe someone’s got it in hand.

Two and a half weeks ago: we send around a picture to some of the women we’ve discovered are on the proposed table.

Two weeks ago: K and I go to Chinatown to purchase goodies to make fascinators.

One week ago: I begin a prototype.

Yesterday: I complete the prototype.

This morning: eight women came over to my apartment to learn, Blue Peter style, to make their own fascinator. We made three extras for the women who couldn’t come today but someone is certain they know who they are.

Tuesday next week: Melbourne Cup.


6 comments:

Melissa said...

That's so cool!

Anonymous said...

That looks like a lot of fun. We do a lot blue peter style in this house!

CJ xx

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

What fun and I'm sure you'll all look very fetching in your fascinators.

Anonymous said...

Looks great fun. :O)
Talking of tea stains, I managed to break the lid to my mug simulatneously chucking some of the contents of my tea back into the kettle!

Jenny Beattie said...

Thanks Melissa

CJ, I love Blue Peter style

Thanks Debs. Photos on FB next week.

Madeleine, No! It must be time to buy a new mug?

Joanna St. James said...

wow hi and thanks for following my blog i wanna learn how to make fascinators