Thursday, November 10, 2011

All I want for Christmas....


… is a Christmas creature.

Since I was about seven (that’s a LONG time people) my Dad has made a Christmas creature for all the children. When Husband appeared on the scene, he too qualified for a Christmas Creature. It was only as our children became old enough to receive one (small parts and all that) that my generation no longer had them. The creatures might be real animals, our pets, beasts from mythology or my Dad’s imagination. They appeared under the tree on Christmas Eve or the following morning. Each model had a cavity which was filled with tiny presents, wrapped in tissue paper.

Since I am home (and my sister has kept so many of them) here is a Christmas Creature montage:


You can read a bit more about the creatures’ origins here, here and here.

In the meantime, it won’t fit inside the Christmas Creature, but this is a definite under-the-tree gift. Cally’s first book, Heaven Can Wait made me laugh out loud (no mean feat) so I’m really looking forward to reading Home for Christmas which is out today.

Beth Prince has always loved fairytales and now, aged twenty-four, she feels like she's finally on the verge of her own happily ever after. She lives by the seaside, works in the Picturebox - a charming but rundown independent cinema - and has a boyfriend who's so debonair and charming she can't believe her luck! There's just one problem - none of her boyfriends have ever told her they love her and it doesn't look like Aiden's going to say it any time soon. Desperate to hear 'I love you' for the first time Beth takes matters into her own hands - and instantly wishes she hadn't. Just when it seems like her luck can't get any worse, bad news arrives in the devilishly handsome shape of Matt Jones. Matt is the regional director of a multiplex cinema and he's determined to get his hands on the Picturebox by Christmas. Can Beth keep her job, her man and her home or is her romantic-comedy life about to turn into a disaster movie?

You can order Home For Christmas here.

7 comments:

CL Taylor said...

Wow I really love them, what a fabulous tradition. I want one too! Thanks for taking part in my online launch party.

Unknown said...

Those creatures are pure magic!

Can't wait to read Cally's latest too!
lx

Sherri said...

What a talented dad you have! I want one, too!

Congratulations to Cally - I'm sure Home for Christmas will be just as fab as Heaven Can Wait. xx

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

What a fabulous family tradition.

I can't wait to read Cally's book too.

Ragged Thread Cartographer said...

Talented dad indeed! I am so impressed. Thought I could say I love the x-x-x best but discover I can't actually choose a favourite - they're all so brilliant. I shall raise a glass of red to your sister for having the nous to keep them for posterity. And may you get your Christmas creature, all of your very own! xx

sheepish said...

Second attempt at posting a comment!!
I of course love the sheep!!! But they are all fabulous what a lovely tradition. Hope your Mum and Dad are better soon.
Good luck to Cally with her new book.

Jenny Beattie said...

Cally, thank you. And I've loved taking part. It was a great excuse to get the creatures out.

Liz, aren't they fab? My dad is very clever. Thank you.

Bernadette, isn't he brill? I'm sure it will be funny and heartwarming. I can't wait.

Debs, thank you. (I bought copy of Home for Christmas yesterday; yay.

RTC, thank you. Yes I am so grateful to my sister for her hoarding tendencies.

Sheepish, Thank you. I think the sheep were among the best ever!