Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Laughing out loud

I’m not big on laughing out loud at books. It makes me a bit nervous when I see ‘I laughed out loud’ proclaimed across a review or on the book itself. I have got a sense of humour, honest, but I think sometimes it’s buried a bit deep. I can’t always quite locate it.

Bill Bryson, James Herriot and Lynne Truss do it for me but other writers, that make other people laugh, well, not so much for me.

Anyway, I went into Maidstone yesterday to pick up some books for my Dad who’s horribly bored (and in hospital still…) and I was very good and only purchased one more book for myself. I took this to Marks and Spencer’s café for a cup of tea before setting off to see my Dad. I got my new book out.

By page eight I’d laughed right out loud and then again almost immediately at the follow up to the punch line. Before I left (at page fifteen) I’d laughed aloud again. I finished my tea and got up. A woman with a small child opposite me, said “Excuse me, I heard you laughing; is that book good then?” I got it out and showed her the book. “I just bought it,” I said, “in WHSmiths. It’s really funny.” I showed her the book again, “You should go and buy it,” I said, “books never make me laugh out loud.” I resisted writing down the title and author, or telling her that it was number 45 on the shelf but I shoved it under her nose again - just to be sure she’d seen it.

Anyway, if any of you are interested, this is where to find the book in WHSmiths in Maidstone…








Heaven Can Wait by Cally Taylor.

It made me laugh out loud: that's no mean feat!

14 comments:

Queenie said...

Me too. Loved it.

Cheryl said...

I just got mine!! gonna start reading it while slurping my tomoato soup :)

Tamsyn Murray said...

And me. Haven't finished yet but am pining for it right now.

Anonymous said...

Well I'm getting mine soon, I've heard so much about it and now you've confirmed that it must be a good read.

One book (sorry two) that have made me laugh out loud (and it's a rare occurence) is Peter Kay's autobiographies - The Sound of Laughter and Saturday Night Peter. He's my favourite comedian (probably because I can relate to him so much being from my home town of Bolton).

CJ xx

sheepish said...

Glad you found something to make you laugh. Hope the parents are doing okay. Also delighted to see so many books for you to read, that should stop you writing too much. He he he, from your woolly friend.

Carol said...

I have it on my to be bought list...I've read so many great things about it that it's moved up to top spot!!

I think I shall buy and it read it as a treat after I have submitted my first assessment (which is only in three weeks *gulp*)

C x

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I loved it too and laughed at those first bits when I was in the bath. Daughter was concerned and asked me what I found so funny.

Kate said...

Thanks for the recommendation i'll look out for it :)

Jen said...

Mine's on the spare pillow on my bed, right next to my head, begging to be read. Torture! Can't wait to get stuck in - especially if it made you *actually* laugh out loud with your mouth!

Jenny Beattie said...

Queenie, you too? She's a clever woman then...

Lily, let us know how you get on.

Tam, me too. I'm going to bed now and can't wait to get stuck back in.

CJ, really? Hmmm, I don't know him very well... I know who he is but don't know much of his work.

Sheepish, Cally's book is definitely making me laugh and not write...

Carol, I think you'll like it even though it's not your usual thing. I think her humour works because it's quite brave and ballsy.

Debs, lol. I laugh everytime I think of it.

Kate, do, it's very funny.

Spiral, yes! it did. My mouth actually turned up at the ends and I made kind of choking noises: amazing!

DJ Kirkby said...

How nice that you've found a book that makes you happy and able to laugh right now. Just what you need.

Rebecca said...

sounds great - will keep an eye out for it.

I often worry about my sense of humour too. When I was a kid I never laughed at the things the other kids were laughing at (like clowns - I just found them frightening) so I'd just sit there, baffled, and laugh fakely. I'm sure everyone could see through my fakery!!

pierre l said...

I am about halfway through my copy (started 24 hours ago), and I too have laughed (and shed a few tears as well).
It is very easy to find because it seems to be #45 in the fiction section of any WH Smith's (or was last week).
Good luck with your own writing -- I shall definitely buy your book when it is published.

Jenny Beattie said...

DJ, I did and yes, it was. Thanks honey.

Rebecca, yeah, I do too. My daughter was totally terrified by clowns too, and Father Christmas!

Pierre 1, oh I am glad you're enjoying it. And thank you for saying you'll buy my book too!