Monday, November 01, 2010

Precious little progress is still progress


I had a sudden shock on Saturday morning when the York Writing Festival programme pinged into my inbox. About a trillion months ago – the kind of notice that is required – I booked air mile tickets to go home for this writing conference. I kept my fingers crossed that the dates wouldn’t change because my tickets can’t!

I had worked it all out. I’d have time to finish the edit; send it to some readers; get their feedback and still have time to go through it again. It had seemed at the time as good a deadline as any on what is turning out to be the never ending novel.

So when I saw the festival programme I began hyperventilating and determined to get down to work. What progress have I made toward hitting that deadline? Errrm, precious little… but I have tidied my office. Still, you can’t write in chaos, can you? What? You can? Yeah me too but tidying seemed so very much more attractive…

I seemed to have slipped on my public humiliation tactic of writing what page of the edit I’m on. I must remedy that immediately. Page 54 - which represents about a sixth of the novel.

And by the way who is planning to attend the York Writing Festival? Let's have a show of hands please.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm very envious, Jenny, York Festival, the home of the Mystery Plays, I used to go to school there and walk the walls, shopping in the Shambles! Oh, my!

I have an invalid husband so travelling around is sometimes difficult and I'm booked for the National Assoc. Writers in Schools conference this year - they allow him to come with me - so that is 'me' for this year.

Have a great time, do post when you are there or upon return. Carole.

Jenny Beattie said...

Thanks Carole. I should have said I used to work for York Archaeological Trust many years ago so I can't wait to be shambling along the Shambles too!

I"m sure I will be blogging about the experience!

Flowerpot said...

Sounds good JJ though as my husband is very poorly I'm not able to go anywere at the moment either - so will depend on your update!

Lela London said...

I am obsessed by your blog. I am moving to Bangkok in just over a month and it has become something of a survival guide for me haha.


Lela London - Fashion Blog and Shoe Blog

Jenny Beattie said...

Flowerpot, I'm so sorry to hear Himself is still so poorly. Wishing him lots of good wishes so he recovers soon.

Lela, oh that's so exciting. Please do let me know if I can answer any questions. Feel free to email: 4pmteatime (at) gmail (dot) com. And thank you. Bangkok is a brilliant place to be - it's a wonderful city and I love living here.

Queenie said...

I really wanted to go this time, but two members of my family have fixed a big family party that weekend for their big decade birthdays, and I need to be there. Maybe next year. So glad it's motivating your writing.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, if you saw the state of my office you'd probably flip with excitement, it's soooo untidy!! But I do write in it, even if it is chaotic!

CJ xx

Chris Stovell said...

No, but good luck with it - I'm sure you'll get loads out of it. Look forwards to reading about it.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I wish I was able to go, but will just have to wait to hear all about it here. Have fun.

Kat W said...

I'd love to beable to visit the York writing festival. I lived in York for a year and I have fond fun memories of working Saturdays at BBC Radio York. I love York as a city. My sister now lives fairly close and so I occasionally get to visit.

Kat X