Monday, April 30, 2007

I'll be making jam next...

I have to move that beer head picture down and out of my view: every time I see it I come out in a sympathy hangover. Not good.

*******
I’ve been thinking I should set myself to write a thousand words a day, but it seems that thinking isn’t good enough. It doesn’t get it done…

So when am I going to do my writing? Today I’ve spent three hours at website brain drain training, (I can’t believe I outed myself as an IT Idiot a few days ago on Caroline’s comments and am admitting that I’m a webmaster of a charity here in Bangkok. This just goes to illustrate that sometimes, in charities, beggars can’t be choosers: volunteers are volunteers, after all!)

I came home for a rushed lunch, then I had a meeting with the Coffee Ladies (I can’t believe I’m ‘fessing up about have coffee ladies on our committee!) who are planning a coffee in June in my apartment and they wanted to see the space and decide where stuff should go (Jesus, did I really say out loud that we’ve got coffee ladies who want to come and do a recce six weeks before the actual date?)

Then one child came home from school, the other child missed the bus and had to wait for next one, the coffee ladies were still discussing which table should go where, and where they might be able to put the raffle prizes.

The management office of the apartments sent some men up to put up pictures and remove a dining room table and chairs at the same time as coffee ladies were trying to decide whether the sofa should be moved, and when to get the balloons delivered: day before or early that morning?

I still haven’t got time to write, let alone energy: I’m so exhausted trying to remember where the coffee ladies want my dining room table put in six weeks time.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhhhh, the expat life!!!!

Carol said...

I must admit it - I thought you were a glutton for punishment when you agreed to host the coffee morning for the Queen's Birthday!!

Cx

Jen said...

Good grief JJ... it all sounds very WI. Mind you, I suspect the WI is a mere front for crack dealers these days so it could have some benefits?!?!

HPofP said...

Hi JJ
Nearly 40's a bit late in life to be losing one's virginity, but I'm losing mine to you today, not having ever made a comment on anyone's blog. Ever.
And all I wanted to say was - what's wrong with making jam? My rhubarb and ginger is legendary (in M21). I make marmalade too you know.
HPofP

Jenny Beattie said...

Hi Liz, Indeed. It's a funny old life, isn't it?

Carol, yes, uhm, clearly I wasn't concentrating that day! Must pay attention on Thursday and avoid volunteering for anything!

Jen, at Easter when she was visiting, my sister in law couldn't remember the name of the group so she spent the WHOLE time calling it the WI. Offended? Me? Just a bit!

Welcome to the blogosphere, High Priestess of Punk-chew-ation, I hope it was a gentle process for you! You're right (as always) there's nothing wrong with you making jam, but me? Wouldn't that worry you?

JJ

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Definitely cut back on the volunteering to make time for the writing. Just Say No (or at least don't say yes too often)

BEAST said...

And I have made Strawberry Jam on two separate occasions! That, and I have a penis - go figure!

Jenny Beattie said...

Zinnia, I promise to tape my mouth shut and sit on my hands at the meeting tomorrow. I was very good last week, when I felt I'd been press ganged into something, I wrote an email to the woman in charge saying how happy I was doing this bit she'd requested, but that I didn'tB feel I could give any more long term!

Hello Beast, Well that was my point really, You are the jam maker in this relationship, and as everyone knows, there isn't room for two jam makers in any partnership.