Tuesday, August 17, 2010

How I Met Your Mother


I read this lovely story on Green Ink a few days ago about how Phil and her fiancé met.

It’s such a great story: a sort of Sliding Doors meets Richard Curtis movie. Romance isn’t my favourite genre but I do love it. There is something perennially hopeful about love stories – I guess that explains the success of romance books and films.

Anyway, it made me think of how Husband and I met. And I thought to myself ‘gosh, is that a story I’ve never told my blog?’ I think it is.

The polite, unrevealing account is that Husband and I met at university.

You might need to brace yourself for the more accurate version. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Here it is:

When I went to university I moved into a hall of residence. I was on the top floor of a three story block. My immediate neighbour was another first year girl, L. Opposite L and I were three final year students: two chemists and a mathematician. Not Yet Husband (Not Bloody Ever Husband had I known this story!) lived in the block next door.

During the first week NYH approached his friends, the three third year students on my corridor and said ‘I hear you’ve got two fit girlies on your corridor. Which one do you recommend I try first?’ (I am resisting the urge to punch that twenty year old version of him.)

‘Ah,’ the three third years said, ‘L’s got a boyfriend at home. You’d best try Jenny first…’

Ouch.

It’s not quite the romance of Green Ink Girl’s anecdote is it? But it is my story. And to give him his credit he’s stopped calling women ‘girlies’ and as a direct result we have been married 19 years…

23 comments:

Queenie said...

That's my Paramour's idea of romance, too. And we've been together nearly 15 years so there must be something in it!

BEAST said...

Oh, to think of things that might have been...




...hang on a mo, I'm still thinking...



...no, never regretted a moment. I am very happy with the fit girlie I chose.

Jen said...

Chortling into my tea here...

Talli Roland said...

This made me laugh! How romantic... snort.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Love it! Have just told this story to son and girlfriend who met in their Halls.

Jenny Beattie said...

Queenie, I guess they're good for other things. Now if I had an hour... I might be able to work out what.

Bea, you've a cheek showing up here today. (Thank you.)

Jen, *grins*

Talli, isn't it?

Debs, excellent. I'm sure your son didn't do anything as unromantic!

Jenny Beattie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

Chuckling...
Love romantic stories, but I think I prefer ones with a heavy dash of realism!

Jenny Beattie said...

Liz, oh me too. I'm happy with a soppy romantic movie but for books, realism is a must.

Carol said...

Awww, not the most romatic of starts but I'm sure he's more than made up for it since :-)

C x

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious - I can't believe he told you that...! And just for good measure (and because I sign in here as anonymous), my word verification thingy was "Flert"! How spooky is that!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that last message was from me - Jane! Was giggling about the blog and forgot to sign off!!!

green ink said...

Hilarious!!!! What a character! :D

sheepish said...

Well we have just had an anniversary [yesterday] so maybe I will do a post about how we met. A bit more romantic than yours I think!!

Fran Hill said...

So touching, the young man's approach to romance.

Flowerpot said...

Congratulatoins - 19 years is one big achievement!

Rashi said...

:) hilariously narrated...

Jenny Beattie said...

Carol, yes he has. But boys? Honestly.

Jane, I knew it was you lovely.

Green Ink, Yes; but thankfully he grew up!

Sheepish, well, it had to be more romantic, didn't it? It couldn't be less!

Fran, I marked his report 'must try harder.'

FLowerpot, thank you.

Rashi, Welcome; and thanks for coming by.

Cheryl said...

Great story, made me chuckle. I bet he's never lived that down ha!

Chris Stovell said...

Love it! (And Beast's comment!)

Lane Mathias said...

What a sweet talking young man he was:-)

HelenMWalters said...

That is an ACE story.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I'm amazed he admitted to that. Could have been worse though. He could have tossed a coin.