Monday, August 30, 2010

A Monday morning sort of post...



I’ve been missing the gym; not as in yearning for it but as in skipping it, avoiding it. Not ‘skipping’ as it turns out. I only managed one session last week due to a combination of lingering tummy ache and preparing to move apartments. (I am trying to sort out some of the shambolic mess in which I live.)

Yesterday I was leaving the apartment to go out and pick up some fabric I wanted for cushions (with this move I’m feeling the need to nest.) When the lift arrived there was already another tenant inside from one of the floors above.

‘Morning,’ we both said and smiled.

I looked at him and I felt a stab of guilt. He was dressed in trainers, shorts and a t-shirt and was clutching a bottle of water. The light to floor six was illuminated. Bugger it. I jabbed the ground floor button. ‘Oh,’ I said. ‘You’re going to the gym…’

‘I am.’ He looked pleased and pulled a small towel from the crook of his arm and dabbed his forehead in anticipation of his sweating.

I wanted to be sick. It’s proving so hard to get the fitness back since I was away in the summer and these two weeks weren’t going to make it any easier. Then I realized…

‘Oh yes,’ I said, triumphant; ‘I’m also going to the Jim. I’m going to the Jim Thompson fabric shop; do you think that’ll have the same effect?’

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very witty post. I love it.

All the best, Boonie

Jenny Beattie said...

Thanks Boonie.

HelenMWalters said...

Brilliant comeback! (And ace logic - yes, I'm sure it will work.)

Kat W said...

Well...I think visiting the Jim Thompson fabric shop and buying such scrumptious fabric served to improve your creative & mental health. So...I think visiting Jim was much more beneficial then visiting gym. And....now I think of it, you didn't need to use a sweat towel which saved on washing & therefore helped to preserve the environment. OOoh and now I'm on a roll cause it also helped keep the Jim Thompson staff and suppliers in a job!

Wow - so in summary....by avoiding the gym & instead visiting Jim you: improved your mental & creative health; saved the environment & saved people's jobs. You should get a medal instead of feeling guilty.

LOL. Kat :-)

Fran Hill said...

Ha ha. That was quick thinking!

Carol said...

LOL!! Totally love it :-)

C x

Queenie said...

No. It won't. Get back to the gym, this minute!

(Should probably confess that I'm sitting here in my gym kit, procrastinating...)

ScotIrishPirate said...

Very Nice. Big smile.

Anonymous said...

What did he say? Or do? Jane x