Monday, August 16, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark


I’ve been away from my desk for a long time. It’s seven weeks that I've been physically away from it but longer if I count the emotional distance brought about by the difficulties of not knowing about our contract, GCSEs and political activities back in May/June time.

I couldn’t wait to get back to my desk. I can work anywhere but I love my mad space. In my imagination getting back here would be dreamy. I could get my head down and get my novel to the next stage.

But something's rotten in the state of my desk and office. The piles of papers, letters, print outs of reference material, magazine clippings that I keep because they may become useful have all been breeding while I’ve been away. It no longer feels a haven. I may be engulfed.

It’s essential therefore to clear up.

And my office deserves it. My family bought me the most amazing present for (Thai) mother’s day. Something I had been internalizing and rejecting for months as being too decadent. I never breathed a word so embarrassed was I that I wanted one. But Son thought of it.

Look.

My very own mini-fridge. My bottom may weld to the chair now I never need to move again.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool post….
Pleased that you’re back on such good form.

All the best, Boonsong

Sherri said...

Lovely mini-bar - but you want to watch out - the charges will be extortionate!

Queenie said...

I've got one! It's fab! Although not nearly as well stocked as yours. Hmmm, might have to do something about that.

HelenMWalters said...

Oh, I want one! Even though I only work about five footsteps away from the actual fridge!

Carol said...

LOL!! Happy Thai Mother's Day!

(I'm so not surprised that you had to attack your desk...I could never understand how you could work in so much guddle!)

Can't wait to see you hon...three weeks and counting!!

C x

Liz said...

Amazing!
About the only thing I remember from the film Panic Room is that the main character had a mini-fridge in their bedside table, which I thought was a seriously awesome idea.
Fridges in the arms of lounge chairs seem a little too decadent, but by a desk seems perfectly rational!

Jenny Beattie said...

Boonsong, however do you come up with them?

Bernadette, Oh no, I didn't think about that. I shall have to bill myself later.

Queenie, I think mine's been most impressively stocked as an extra mother's day gift. I doubt I'll keep it that well stocked.

Helen, LOL. Our other fridge is miles away. It takes 10 minutes to get there and back!

Carol, a guddle? My desk's never been a guddle. How dare you. It's decoration, not a guddle.

Liz, I entirely agree with you. I wasn't brave enough to watch Panic Room.

Fran Hill said...

We had friends who used to bring a mini-fridge camping. They'd fix it up to a generator. They kept their bacon and sausages and milk under wet towels in the tent, and their beer and wine in the mini-fridge. That's prioritising for you.

Talli Roland said...

Your very own mini-fridge! Say it ain't so - I'm so jealous!

Jenny Beattie said...

Fran, that sounds eminently sensible to me.

Talli, I still break out into giggles when I help myself to a soda water. Oh dear, I must get out more.