Monday, May 26, 2008

Novel 1, 2 and 3

Yesterday there was no stopping me. I returned to the scene of my ‘sleep crime’ in Starbucks (not to the same chair just in case it was infused with soporific stuffing) but to the sofa where I wrote and wrote and wrote about the two new ideas. Novel no 2, the idea I’d had in the UK, had appeared with characters and bits of dialogue so I wrote mostly about that one.

I really like the idea for novel no 2. It requires more research, but nothing impossible - and I do love research. (If anyone knows anyone who could tell me about ‘advisors to the Government’ I’d be very grateful. Please email though the address in my profile.)

Husband thinks that Novel No 1 idea might best be put on the back burner until it feels right. I feel emotionally attached to that one and yet I'm not doing it. I think maybe the stakes are too high. There seems to me to be several possible reasons why I'm not doing it:
  • I am not ready to write Novel 1
  • I really am bone idle
  • I beat EVERYONE on the procrastination front, whatever Sheepish says!
  • I am not cut out to write fiction
  • It’s a crappy idea

And I am rather excited by Novel No 2… which is about someone coming back home after a period working overseas. If I’m about to spend July in the UK, it might be the time to write that one.

11 comments:

Jen said...

It doesn't matter which order you write your novels in - just write whichever story excites you the most.

Sounds as if you're going to be in the right place at the right time... what more can you possibly need? Novel 2's obviously ready and waiting for you :0)

X

Sue Guiney said...

I absolutely agree with spiralskies! I'm a great believer in writing what comes from your heart rather just your head. If novel 2 "feels" right, then I'd go for that. there's plenty of time for the others. I know I have a whole line of novel ideas quietly waiting their turn in the queue. xo

Yvonne said...

An idea that appears already with characters and dialogue sounds really exciting - I'd find that very hard to shelf. I reckon Spiral Skies is right - go with what feels good!

Stray said...

Oh JJ ... you know who I know who could tell you ALL about advisors to the government don't you ... ? Send him an email ... I'm sure he'd be thrilled to help!

Sx

Jenny Beattie said...

Jen, yeah, I know you're right. It's hard letting the first one go because I so want to tell it, but however much I want to tell it - it ain't happening!

Sue, thanks and yes what feels right is more important.

Yvonne, it's never happened to me before so I guess I have to go with it!

Stray, NO? Really? I didn't know. But I will get in touch. I had plans to go there anyway in July so I will definitely talk to him then. I can't believe I didn't know that! Thanks.

Carol said...

Having spent the afternoon listening to you talk about Novel 2 I think you should go for it!! It sounded to me like you already have the bones of your story - you know where it starts and where you want it to go.....I say go for it!!!

C x

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I agree, go with the one that excites you most right now and write Novel 2.

Karen said...

I can only agree with everyone else - go with your instincts. If you're excited about it, it'll show in your writing :o)

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Wot they all said: go for it. The important thing is that you're writing; what you're writing matters much less. Best of luck!

Jenny Beattie said...

Carol, thanks honey.

Debs, Karen and Zinnia, thanks m'dears you're right and I am.

OOoh exciting.

Liane Spicer said...

What they said.

And hey, you can't beat me at procrastination. I'd wager good money on that.