Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Certification

Now that the Slumps have been officially diagnosed and I’ve got the certificate to prove it, I’m feeling a bit better. Even though I realised it, the words of my mentor have reassured me “…they happen, it’s impossible to work at full creative speed all the time. The best thing is – as it seems to me you’re doing – to listen to it.” We’ve agreed that the last lot of words I send in can be either the next 10k of novel or the working synopsis. Thus far I’ve been writing without a plan of any sort… just knowing the story but it looks as though it’s time to prepare some sort of strategy.

In acknowledging the slumps two things have happened: I can get on and do other jobs that haven’t been done because of my anxious slumpy paralysis and secondly my subconscious has started to think about the story again and the bits of plot I might need to introduce to combat the flat feeling.

I’ve done the updated BWG website this morning … my bits of it: Book Club and the Noticeboard as well as the committee page. I’ve sent overdue emails out. Now I’m in the midst of book buying… for May. Then I have to try to sort out a beach holiday for when SiL and her family come to Thailand in the summer; that sounds fun but it’s hard trawling through the many, many options and making choices for other people. I keep opening up the internet, then faced with so many alternatives I shut it back down again.

11 comments:

DOT said...

I, too, have hit a small brick wall but, as your mentor points out, recognise it as one of those things that happen. The more you panic, the higher the wall becomes. Best thing is to go for a walk, cook une soupe à l'oignon (as I did last night), read a book, do anything to distract yourself.

Today, my brick wall is low enough for me to hop over. (La soupe à l'oignon worked!)

Small gripe: I just had a quick look at the BWG site and would have stayed except for the music.

May I suggest you have some means of turning it off so that those who prefer to listen to sounds of their own choosing can read it in peace.

Jenny Beattie said...

DOT, I'm delighted to hear that you've tackled your brick wall. Hopefully when I get some of the other work out the way, mine will be easier to traverse!

The 'music' on the website, yeah, uhm, it's just ghastly, isn't it? It irritates me too - I'm sure I shouldn't say that outloud. It'll be gone after our fashion show on Saturday (I think.)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Sometimes it's hard to get started with anything at all, especially when you have so much on your plate.

Queenie said...

JJ, it sounds as if you're doing really well. And it IS hard choosing holidays - I've just booked one and it took me aaaaaaaages.

Unknown said...

Well done for recognizing where you are at the moment and a pat on the back to your subconcious already hard at work :-)

lx

Carol said...

You'll get there hon :-)

I have to say that I'm not keen on the music on the website either....it's a bit grating!!

C x

Davin Malasarn said...

Hey there,
Thanks for stopping by The Literary Lab! I'm a Thai-American, so I think it's cool you were living in Bangkok! I agree that sometimes it's best just to accept the slumps. It's a normal part of writing and it will eventually go away.

Lane Mathias said...

Sounds like you have a wise mentor there jj.

Good luck with finding that holiday. Sounds daunting!

HelenMWalters said...

Sounds like you've got it all under control x

DJ Kirkby said...

'Slump' is such a descriptive word. I may have to use it myself this week...for my life in general not just my writing:(

Jenny Beattie said...

Debs, that's exactly how I felt. Sooo many things Nothing was getting done.

Queenie, would you like to choose ours, too?

Liz, thank you. I am going to stay away from writing anything until the fashion show is over. I must get the Donald Maass out though!

Carol, thanks my dear.

Davin, welcome to tea stains. What a coincidence - are you based in the US now?

Lane, thank you.

Helen, I'm hoping so.. though maybe not today!

DJ, It IS a fab word isn't it? It's exactly what I feel. I know I'll get back because I'm still excited by the story... but not right now.