Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Squirrels

Back in February I posted about my Dad, and the Christmas Creatures that he makes for the children in the family and sometimes some hangers on. He’s been making them since I was around seven or eight. They are constructed in a rather sophisticated Blue Peter fashion with a hollow belly into which little presents are hidden. They were always top secret: what creature would they be? There have been a snowman, a cat, robots, spacemen, aliens, a sausage dog… many little creatures lovingly made and filled over the autumn months. They would be unveiled in a very low key manner by putting them under the tree on Christmas Eve or on Christmas morning for us to stumble upon. We’d receive them with the presents after lunch.

This year my kids went off to the UK for Christmas, while I stayed in Thailand doing my Skyros course. And so this trip home is the first time I’ve seen this year’s Christmas Creature.

Here is my Dad’s inspiration, eating nuts on the kitchen window:





















And here is the Christmas Creature:

10 comments:

CL Taylor said...

I LOVE it! What a talented man your dad is (I can see where you get your creativity). My dad isn't a particularly creative man but I so admired the bird wood-carving he made out of bits of plywood he made me one too. It now has pride of place in my kitchen. Maybe I should post a photo on my blog?

Jenny Beattie said...

Thank you. YES, yes, Cally, please post a picture on your blog.

Carol said...

OMG that wee creature is fab!! Glad your having a good time hon - the novel racers meet sounded great!!

See you soon :-)

C x

Angie said...

How cute! I love it. Looks like creativity runs in your family.
Hope you're enjoying your trip.
-Ang xx

uphilldowndale said...

As my boy would say 'that's mint!'

Lane Mathias said...

What a lovely 'creature'. Your dad is a very talented man.

Sue Guiney said...

Funny. That little faux squirrel looks vaguely familiar.....

Lucy Diamond said...

Awwww...what a nice idea. And what a clever dad!! The older I get, the more I think Christmas really hangs on these particular rituals - they're what make it so special and memorable.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Isn't he creative? What a lovely idea too.

I love family Christmas traditions, they are the most memorable and enjoyable part.

uphilldowndale said...

Hi, I have to tell you I've tagged you!