Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Hop Farm

I've spent so long wanting to go to the Hop Farm and not going that my children are all grown up and too big for it. Still, Daughter and Daughter's Friend were keen to go along. There were big pillow things they wanted to bounce on as well as animals to pet and other 'attractions.'

I've written about hops here, here and here. As I said at the last link, "Hop bines grow up to five feet, up coir string supported by permanent poles and wires. They’re harvested in September in a 6 week period, and traditionally casual workers from London’s East End would bring the family down for a holiday in Kent to pick the hops. They are picked and dried out in the oasts – they build a fire at the bottom on the building, spread out the hops on a grid and the white top – the cowl – turned in the wind to circulate the air." 

It was very expensive to get in but I'm glad I went because the Hop Story, which tells all about the workers from the East End of London coming down to Kent to pick hops is really good.

Oast houses at The Hop Farm:


Tiddly widdly ponies and Shire horses with feet the size of dinner plates.


Sheep, llama, goat and donkey:



6 comments:

Carol said...

Oh how I would love to live in an Oast house! *sigh*

C x

Anonymous said...

I loved it when we went there - it was a while ago, must go again with the kids, while they're still young enough to appreciate it... Jane x

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing them.

All the best, Boonsong

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

It looks fascinating. I've never been to an oast house, but would love to visit this place at some point.

Sue Guiney said...

When my kids were little, my parents came over from NY and we went to Kent and stayed on a farm in one of those oast houses. I just love them! It was one of our best holidays.

Jayne said...

Those animals all look very happy and well-cared for at the Hop Farm. But you do realise I have that song in my head now (let's go to the hop oh baby...) And I only know that bit. Hm. Still, could be worse! Could be Old McDonald Had A Farm I guess...