Saturday, June 30, 2007

Dead

Sometimes I feel like I’m in a popular culture void here in Bangkok. Of course there is popular culture here, A, B, C list celebs etc, but since it’s all in Thai I don’t know anything about it.

I was really pleased to leave the UK because I was hooked on several TV shows: Eastenders, Coronation Street, Holby City, Casualty … (I know, I know, I’m so classy) and being in Thailand meant I’d have to wean myself off them: it’s liberating and has freed up lots of time in which I don’t write!

While I was in the UK I found out that Charlotte Church is pregnant. I actually don’t care really one way or the other, but it did come as a shock that I didn’t know what was going on…

I’ve just been reading ‘Wannabe a Writer’ which I picked up while in the UK recently. I went straight to the chapter on discipline (hoping Jane Wenham-Jones had a magic wand, yeah!) and this turned into ‘where to get ideas from.’ And do you know what she said?

She told me Pauline Fowler is dead.

Pauline Fowler is dead?

When? How?

8 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Who is Pauline Fowler?

I am officially utter rubbish at popular culture, and I live in the UK. I don't watch TV or read magazines, though, which probably explains it.

Jon M said...

Whatever happened to Ena Sharples, now there was a woman...

Pacha said...

Nooooo, Pauline Fowler is DEAD. How? When? What happened? We left UK 5 years ago and I feel like I am missing out on huge chunks of important info!

Jenny Beattie said...

Oh Zinnia, fantastic. I wish I didn't know who she was. WAS!

Jon, and Hilda Ogden: whatever is she doing? Still working for the doctor maybe?

Pacha, I KNOW! DEAD. CAN YOU BELIEVE WE DIDN'T KNOW?

JJx

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO much for buying Wannabe a Writer and I think I should direct you all to http://www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/episodes/
You'll be able to see stills of the very episode! :-)
best wishes jane wj

Jenny Beattie said...

Jane
The pleasure's all mine - it's great to be laughing at the same time as being told it's bloody hard work, because, actually, I'm finding it bloody hard at the moment!

Sonia decked Pauline? Oh my god, I'm stunned! Oh I do miss Easties and Corrie!

Anonymous said...

Ah but Sonia didn't kill her...
Glad you are enjoying the book - please tell all your friends :-) And maybe you would ike to look at the wannabe website too - there is a novel-writing competition etc. www.wannabeawriter.co.uk
OK plugging over :-) I adore EastEnders.(as you'll see from how many mentions it gets in the book...)

Jenny Beattie said...

I've been back and had a look again, how did she die? If it wasn't Sonia's punch... it wasn't a suicide mobile message, was it? How? HOW, HOW?
JJx