Saturday, November 03, 2007

The Dog Catcher

On Thursday I had a committee meeting in my capacity as ‘laughable webmaster’ (my name, not theirs.) Claire approached me in the coffee break and said ‘I know you’re very busy but …’ She’s the Marketing and PR Director for SCAD (Soi Cats and Dogs) here in Bangkok, a fabulous photographer and also on the Committee. She told me that they were looking for writers…

Can you guess what happened next?

I was quite good: I found out what they wanted first (I thought they might want cute speeches from dogs and cats asking to be adopted. I drew the line there!) They don’t – they want reports and articles about their work. One of the big things they do here is to round up the street animals – spay them and then return them to the streets. Street animals are part of life here – SCAD are trying to control the numbers of pups/kittens.

And it gets better. I supply the articles and Claire will do the getting them published bit which I hate. It’s a hurdle I have to get over, but right now Claire would do that and I’d have something else for my CV.

The only problem is … when am I going to get my novel written?

10 comments:

Yvonne said...

Brilliant news! Congratulations JJ sounds like a fantastic oportunity!

hesitant scribe said...

It's all good JJ - all writing! Well done you!

HPofP said...

The more pressure, the more you'll find time to fit in what you want to do! You won't be able to put it off because you'll have too many deadlines to meet.
Brilliant! I can see the bookjacket notes now ..."JJ is a columnist, web-master, eco-tourist, charitable activist and enthusiastic Blogger. This is her first novel; written in her spare time."

Pacha said...

I have found that the busier I am the more productive I am...maybe this is what will happen to you?

Your news lately is sooooo exciting.

I still want to be you!

Lane Mathias said...

'If you want something done, ask a busy woman'.
It's a great opportunity JJ, says alot about their faith in you as a writer and a very worthy cause:-)

Rebecca said...

yay! a writing job!! congratulations JJ!!

- just like Pacha said sometimes the busier you are the more productive you become...hopefully you'll fall into that category and get your novel written in no time.

Jon M said...

All good for the 'writing muscles' buy a time machine! :-)

Anonymous said...

In your tea breaks, of course!
I hope you'll be taking plenty of them!

Jen said...

Wow, you're in demand as a writer - how cool is that???

I'm soooo jealous XXX

Jenny Beattie said...

Hellojed, thanks. It's great because I like what they do.

Hesitant Scribe, thank you. I like writing about things that interest me.

HPoP, oh I hope so. *grinning*

Pacha, thank you. No money involved though!

Lane, thank you, but I think it says a lot about them needing anyone who can string a sentence together...

Rebecca, thank you. I hope so. Organised is not my middle name...

Jon, I could, though couldn't I? How did Hermione get to several classes at once? Could I do that do you think?

Leigh, Tea breaks? Of course, why didn't I think of that?

Jen, thanks, but like I said no money is changing hands! But good for my writing CV blah blah blah.

JJx