Tuesday, November 13, 2007

DON'T come home with a dog

Yesterday morning I had an appointment with Claire at SCAD (Soi Cats and Dogs) in preparation for writing for them. I was off early to meet her at their new premises, Retails Too; Husband wished me a good day and said ‘DON’T come home with a dog.’

I don’t know about anyone else but one of the things I love about writing articles is finding out about new things. If I know a little already about the subject the joy is in discovering how I feel about them. In this case I love cats and dogs: I’ve just about always lived with them – apart from here in Bangkok and as a student.

I’ve always loved research and it makes the writing so much easier – the ideas come directly as a result of research. In the case of SCAD my investigation consists of finding out about the history of the organisation, understanding what they do (and don’t do) and how they arrived at the present. But because being involved makes writing easier I also just want to spend time there. Being told something is one thing, but watching how they deal with frightened puppies tells me so much more.

After a tour of the premises (no new cats or dogs present yet) we sat down with a coffee and we talked. Claire told me that there were three dogs coming that morning to be photographed – could I hang around to see them? (During the morning, Husband texted me with an email address I’d requested – and a postscript, adding ‘DON’T come home with a dog.’)

Conversation finished when Carol (not Carol and Chris) arrived with three dogs: bouncy dog called Maggie; shy white terrier like puppy called ‘shy’ in Thai and cute chunky puppy called ‘Nay-pon’ or ‘General’ in Thai. We went into the grounds with the three dogs and I watched Claire and Carol commence with the photoshoot – and there was my first article.

This is the chunky chappie, Nay-pon. I only just managed not to bring him home, but just as a joke, I texted Husband and asked him to stop off and buy some litter on the way home…


11 comments:

Angie said...

I don't think I could've complied - I would've brought him home. He's adorable!

Jenny Beattie said...

Angie, when I showed him the picture, Husband said ominously: 'He looks like he's going to be a big dog.' I think that means forget it!
JJx

Lane Mathias said...

But look at his back legs stretched out like a rabbit. He's gorgeous!
Sounds like you're going to have a great article:-)
x

Yvonne said...

That must have been really difficult to leave without that adorable puppy! So glad that you are enjoying your research, good luck with the article!

Anonymous said...

I really don't know how you resisted. I think I would have brought home all three.

Crystal xx

Pacha said...

Nay-pon is gorgeous!

I'm so pleased to hear that you are enjoying the research and the ideas that come with it!

Leigh Forbes said...

He's a sweetie, isn't he?
If I liked dogs, I think I would quite like Nay-pon.
I might even have to snuggle up with him on the sofa.

Carol said...

Ha - watch out for that Claire she's a sneaky one!! I went to her house to pick up one cat and came home with two!!

Glad to hear that everything is going well (I knew it would)

C x

HPofP said...

Is this the same man who commented (infamously) in the university yearbook that all he wanted from life was a "Big House, Big Car, Big Dog, Horny Wife"?
Are you sure it wasn't an indication of a change of heart ...?

Caroline said...

Go back and get him! Take him home :(

Your article sounds fascinating.
x

Jenny Beattie said...

Lane, thanks, yes, it's those rabbit legs that do it for me too.

Hellojed, it was hard but he does look like he's going to grow into a small pony sized dog!

Crystal Jigsaw, most of the other volunteers have got about three dogs at home!

Pacha, thanks, just got to start writing now...

Leigh, he IS rather cuddly looking, isn't he?

Carol, using daughter as an excuse. Cannot break her heart again. Claire knows... I hope.

HPoP, Hmmm, well, he's got a titchy house, no car, no dog and a 'big' wife ... sometimes life doesn't work quite the way you expect, eh?

Caroline, thanks. I know, I'd love to - he's so sweet.

JJx