Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Logged on at last

Thank you to everyone who dropped by to say that you hope we're all staying safe. That was exactly what I meant about friendship and bloggie friends and you all deserve yesterday's award. My apologies for not replying to the comments but I've been unable to log onto Blogger until now.

Nothing really changed yesterday. The announcement about the state of emergency came at 7am, and the children left for school twenty minutes earlier so they were off on their way to school before we even knew about the situation. School made the decision to stay open, but cancelled after-school activities so everyone got home at the same time.

I'd got a big group for Book Club expected yesterday morning, just around the corner in Bitter Brown on Asoke (road) so I texted everyone to let them know I would be there as normal. Everyone else turned up too. Lots of the Book Club members are seasoned expats that have seen ... well, volatile times in other countries so no-one was frightened to go out. (We had a good meeting discussing Tim Winton's Cloudstreet which I really wanted to like more than I did. I'm not sure I understood it all - I need a conversation with the writer about some of the themes! I struggled hugely with the Australian vernacular, despite many years of Neighbours while a student! It was beautifully written, and the characters wonderfully drawn. He writes women really well, and I was desperate to know more of their stories.)

I've never done politics on this blog, and I'm not about to start now, but it may interest you to know what's happening here for me as an expat. It was quiet around town. Public transport unions were threatening to stop in support of the demo and there was considerably less traffic on the roads than normal. None of us would go anywhere near to Government House where it's all happening but there's nothing to be seen where I live.

Thanks again to all of you for your good wishes.

12 comments:

Amanda said...

Just seen your news from yesterday, glad you are all OK.
Annie x

Lane Mathias said...

Glad it's relatively ok for you at the moment and that the schools are taking sensible precautions.
Take care.

Rachel Green said...

I'm glad you're all okay :)

Yvonne said...

Glad to hear you're ok and that it didn't interfere with your life too much. I'm thinking of you. x

Carol said...

Yay to being able to log on to Blogger!!

C x

Jenny Beattie said...

Annie, Lane, Rachel and Yvonne, thank you for all your thoughts. We are pretty fine. Nothing much of interest happening where we live.

Carol, Oh, I know. I'm so hooked on Blogger...

Jill Steeples said...

Glad to hear you're okay and not too affected by the state of emergency.

Ah,Neighbours, that was realy comfort viewing for me when the kids were small. Mind you, I'm talking about the days of Kylie and Jason!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Glad to hear you're all ok. Keep safe.

Dx

Kat W said...

I've just been catching up with your blog after being away. Glad you are okay despite the chaos nearby. Kat

CL Taylor said...

So glad to hear you're okay. I'm ashamed to say I only found out what was going on in Thailand when I picked up my free copy of the Metro on the way to work today. It looks awful and very scary. Reminds me of when my friend was over in Nepal a few years ago when all the trouble kicked off there. Glad you and yours are safe.

Angie said...

So glad to hear you're safe (and blogger let you back on!). xx

Liane Spicer said...

Thank goodness.