Thursday, September 04, 2008

A return to the trivial and daft

When we first came to Bangkok quite a lot of money was being spent to try to establish Thailand as a competitor in the international fashion arena. It didn’t really happen. Nonetheless every year I’ve trundled off to the Bangkok International Fashion Fair & Bangkok International Leather Fair, lustful as I am about handbags. This year, for the first time, I took Daughter.


The exhibition is split into different parts. Some of it is high end designer fashion; then there are companies making ordinary clothes so you can buy items for £1.50… There’s a leather goods section where they sell bags and/or shoes and there’s a leather industry bit … the tannery companies.
In this last section, we found a singing Thai cowboy:

6 comments:

Angie said...

The singing Thai cowboy goes so well with the "Biff and Bil" sign - sounds like two western names.
Clothes for 1.50! I would love to shop around there.
Hope daughter enjoyed her first fair.

Pat Posner said...

It sounds like a great fair - especially with a real live singing cowboy!
So what did you buy?

Marcie Steele said...

Glad to see you out and about JJ.

Stay safe hun x

Jenny Beattie said...

Angie, Daughter did enjoy it and so did I. A couple of years ago she wouldn't have been interested ... but now. She bought loads.

Pat, It was a lot of fun. I bought a bag for my sister (hope she doesn't see this.) I enquired after a pair of shoes in my size and they only had Daughter's size ... so she got them! They cost £7.50 so a bargain.

Thanks LPlate. It's pretty much okay where we live.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Sounds like great fun. Bless him, he looks like he's giving it 'his all'.

Kat W said...

Sounds like there were bargains to be had. I love a bit of retail therapy. I take it cowboy man wasn't advertising clothes - or was he? He looks a fab character.

Kat :-)