Monday, November 10, 2008

Adults Only!

This made me chuckle.

Finland has released the DVD of ‘A Little House on the Prairie’ with a certificate of ‘suitable for adults only.’ The costs of having it assessed for the correct age certification are prohibitively expensive.

I doubt very much that the DVD will sell. Any adult buying it hoping for a bit of ‘how’s your father’ will be deeply disappointed.

I loved the books as a child. My mum used to read it to us at the kitchen table before we went to bed. I was ‘Laura’ because I was not such a good girl and my sister was the prissy ‘Mary.’ I was completely mortified when Mary went blind because we identified so much with our characters. My Mum said my sister and I were in floods of tears when she read about Jack the dog dying and so she had to edit frantically as she read.

Then the series came on TV and I loved that too. I knew the books so well that when the TV show started veering away from the stories in the books, I got my first taste of book to film disappointment.

9 comments:

Ange said...

That's hilarious! Truly bizarre!!

Tamsyn Murray said...

Oooh! Maybe it's the Director's Cut??

HelenMWalters said...

Well, I guess some people might find the scenes of Pa Ingalls with no shirt on disturbing!

Unknown said...

Boggles the mind!!!

Lane Mathias said...

There may well be some very disappointed Fins!

Rose Red Art said...

That's hilarious!

I LOVED The Little House books! I still have them! I wasn't too keen on the tv show because it so different.

I can just imagine the teenagers all trying to get a pirate copy just to see all the filth... they'll be so disappointed! lol

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I loved those books too. I still re-read them sometimes.

Jenny Beattie said...

Hi all, it tickled me. The idea of it being saucy...

Angie said...

I'm a bit behind on blogreading, as you can see, but had to comment on this one - I loved these books and the show too. I identified with Laura as well. As a bit of a tomboy, I also identified with Laura. :)
18 and over, huh? What did we miss in our edited kids' version?!