Thursday, November 13, 2008

RIP

Poor old Flicka dog didn’t make it.

Rather than relying on the exchange of information via Older Niece and Daughter I spoke to my Dad yesterday.

Flicka was very frightened by bonfire night and thunder. She’s a big dog, but she turned into a quivering jelly (8 stone of terror) at either noise. She also hated people saying goodbye (I think this is a collie personality trait.) On Sunday night Nieces had spent the weekend with their Dad and they were saying goodbye to him. The combination of bonfire night and goodbyes, and the door being left open a crack, Flicka tried to escape (okay, going outside wasn’t the brightest plan …but she was in a panic.)

Anyway, the bastard car didn’t stop. Ex BiL stopped and helped. He and Dad drove Flicka to the local vets HQ a couple of villages away but for the diagnostic MRI scan she was transferred to the Royal Veterinary College in Potters Bar. They called with the results while she was still under the anaesthetic. It was a close call. They could’ve tried to operate but the prognosis wasn’t good and recovery couldn’t be guaranteed.

Thanks to all who left good wishes yesterday. Sorry the news isn't cheerier.

22 comments:

CL Taylor said...

Oh I'm so sorry JJ. It really does break my heart when dogs die :o(

Carol said...

Oh honey I'm so so sorry!!! Losing a pet is like losing a member of the family

Hugs

C x

Unknown said...

Oh, JJ massive hugs.....it's awful and your so far away which makes it worse.

lx

Jen said...

Oh no :0(

Poor lovely Flicka... x

Helen said...

Really sorry JJ. I know how hard it is losing a dog you love. And you being away must make it even harder for you. Hugs. x

Beth said...

Poor Flicka. Thinking of you x

Yvonne said...

Hugs to you and your family. What a terrible shame, she was gorgeous.

Caroline said...

So sorry for your news. I do hope your daughter is ok.

The bastard car not stopping is shity! How can that person sleep at night?

x

Lane Mathias said...

I'm so sorry jj.
That's just so awful.
xx

Rachel Green said...

I'm so sorry
*hugs*

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

So sorry to hear about poor Flicker. Sending love to your family too, so upsetting for them.x

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Ouch. How horrible. Poor you; poor Daughter. More (((((hugs))))).

Chris Stovell said...

Don't know what to say other than I'm so sorry to read this. Best wishes to you and yours.

Pat Posner said...

JJ, so sorry and sad. I know how much it hurts.

Sending hugs and healing thoughts for you and yours

xxPat

Jenny Beattie said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments. It's so sad and so important for Daughter to experience ... but hard cos we're here and not there.

Poor old Flicka dog.

Karen said...

That's so sad, I'm really sorry x

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry, what a terrible way to lose her.

Angie said...

I'm sorry, honey, that's terrible news. Sending my thoughts and hugs to you and the kids.
xx

Rose Red Art said...

The death of a pet is hard. I did get all teary when I read your post this morning (only able to comment now though)

It's heart breaking.

My thoughts are with you and your family. xx

HelenMWalters said...

Poor, poor Flicka. Huge hugs and lots of empathy to all of you xxx

Liane Spicer said...

I'm sorry about your dog, JJ. Fireworks are supposed to be illegal here, but they're sold openly all over the place and at times like New Years Eve and Divali the dogs suffer. I don't have a dog any more but many people I know have to sedate their dogs on these holidays so they don't hurt themselves in their panic.

So, so sorry. I know what it's like to lose a beloved dog.

Jenny Beattie said...

Thanks again for lovely comments. It is sad, and in previous years my parents have sedated her... but not this year. *sigh*