Monday, November 03, 2008

I don't bake...

Bookworm costume
... but I do make costumes. The children know that they can ask to be anything and I will huff and puff and grumble about time and then usually I will do it. But, if I can't, my Mum or my Dad can and will. That is one reason why my parents are so fantastic.

This is Son as 'Bookworm' for World Book Day 2004.

That year, I rather surpassed myself. Both Son and Daughter looked spectacular, (Daughter tomorrow) and another mother passed me in the playground, and said: 'You've got too much time on your hands...'

I was devastated; I could've cried. She was a solicitor - I am impressed because she had a real, grown up career and she baked her daughter's birthday cakes, while I didn't have a job, I just went to art college. I could make costumes but not cakes and so I bought mine from Tesco or M&S. I reckoned we were pretty even on the making front but she'd reached the finished line on careers before I'd even heard the starter pistol.

Anyway, sorry for the 'me me me, aren't I clever' post but I'm writing you know, and can't think of anything else to post.

15 comments:

samesame said...

Nice work! careers schmeers I say!

Cathy said...

Love it! More pics please, you are so clever.

Cx

Helen said...

Why do people say 'you have too much time on your hands?' That really rankles me. Why, if you make time to do something you love to do, is that having too much time?

Whilst I do bake I am hopeless with a needle and thread and making costumes and the like. I'd buy those from Tesco or M&S!

Oh and art college and writing is a career. It is all about improving yourself. xx

Pat Posner said...

I think when someone says anything like that it's because they resent the fact that haven't a creative bone in their body.

The 'Bookworm' outfit is great.

Sue Guiney said...

I hate the way women can say such hurtful things to each other, especially after we've all worked so hard to have the right to choose how we spend our time -- in the home or outside of it. It really gets me furious! That woman clearly must be feeling guilty about something.....
and great costume! I'm hopeless at that sort of thing. My poor kids.....

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Take no notice of the silly woman!

Love the pic, I wish I was half as clever on the outfit making front! My children had to do with teatowels and my useless attempts.

CL Taylor said...

That's brilliant! Looks very professional. Looking forward to seeing more costumes! Ignore silly woman - she was obviously jealous of your talent.

Flowerpot said...

great outfit - well done you!

Lane Mathias said...

The costume is brilliant.

And that silly woman's fleeting judgement makes me see red.

The Frogblogger said...

A poor self-image on her part... barbs like that reveal latent envy!

Unknown said...

She was clearly feeling inadequate...great costume!

HelenMWalters said...

Brilliant costume!

Jon M said...

I reckon making costumes on demand is a skill beyond measure! And you are clever so you should point it out!

Kate.Kingsley said...

Genius!!

Carol said...

I have to say JJ that outfit is absolutely fantastic!! She had costume envy.....

C x