Sunday, November 16, 2008

Twit

Oh good grief. In pursuit of the ‘essential items’ as dictated by school, Daughter and I went to MBK this afternoon.

MBK is one of the malls I will miss desperately when we eventually go home. It’s rather like a market in a mall – the shops are mostly small units, rentable individually or in multiples to make a big, ‘proper’ shop.

We were downstairs where the units are mostly individually let. We were tired; only one item remained on our list. Daughter was inside the tiny, cramped shop examining the thing we wanted. I stood outside, where more goods spilled out. In front of me there was a suitcase for sale and I rested my bag there while I opened it up to check out the spondulics situation.

“Oh,” I said to Daughter, “I don’t have enough money. I need to go to the cash point.” I went off in search of a money machine, found one and then made my way back to the unit. I was gone around five minutes. There, sitting on the top of the suitcase outside the shop, was my handbag, open, proudly displaying a camera, a Blackberry and all manner of detritus we women carry around with us.

I am still flushing hot and cold at my stupidity (and good luck.)

9 comments:

CL Taylor said...

Oh wow, that was REALLY lucky! I can't think of many cities in the world where you bag would have still been there when you came back! Phew!

Jenny Beattie said...

Oh Calistro, you're too kind for not telling me what a total eejit I am. It was unbelievably lucky and I really am unbelievably stupid.

HelenMWalters said...

One of my recurring nightmares is that I've left my handbag somewhere and wandered off. So glad your adventure had a happy ending.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

So pleased you didnt't have your things stolen. What luck.

Jon M said...

I haven't got a handbag but if I did I would do that too.

Leigh Forbes said...

Blimey, JJ!
It's that BB, you know. Magic, it is. A good-luck charm if ever I saw one. (As well as being really cool.)

Angie said...

I'm always terrified I'll leave my bag somewhere. What good luck everyone was honest!

Liane Spicer said...

Unbelievable! (That you got it back, that is, not that you had a momentary lapse.) When I'm shopping and have to carry several bags I'm a wreck because I've left bags in taxis, trains, restrooms...

Not a twit. Or if you are, you've got company.

Jenny Beattie said...

Oh Helen, I am STILL having nightmares!

Debs, but what a plonker, eh?

Jon, it's just as well you don't have one then ... we are twits.

Leigh, Oh hot and cold sweats... over and over. What would I have done without my gorgeous BB?

Angie, I'm always aware of my bag. BUT, this time I'd got a shopping bag hanging over my arm and I think I thought it was my handbag.

Oh Wordtryst, I'm relieved I'm not alone, but it was horrible.