Sunday, November 02, 2008

I'm not worthy

Today I’m toasting those brave Novel Racer souls (here, here, here and here - I hope I haven't missed anyone) who’ve signed up to do Nanowrimo. Really, I’m applauding anyone who’s taken leave of their senses signed up for it. To me, it seems akin to agreeing to do a marathon: stark staring bonkers. I know that that kind of vomit draft is probably very liberating to some people, but I also know I just couldn’t do it.

For the rest of us Novel Racers, November is just another month that we’re writing. For me, I’m not far away from 17,000 words (update: I'm there now.) My writing discipline seems only to have emerged on signing up for the mentoring with TLC. When my mentor originally wrote and said she would expect to receive 10,000 words every six weeks, I nearly had a heart attack. But it’s doable actually. I’m managing it. What’s more important is that I manage to keep up that momentum after my six lots of 10k words because the full ms will be read by TLC and there’s an end to that offer.

Just as I know there are people on my side waving flags and yelling encouragement, I want to let you Nanowrimo members know that I might consider you out of your cotton pickin' minds, but I will be there on the sidelines cheering you on. Now, go write.

10 comments:

Ange said...

I'm totally with you - tried Nanowrimo last year on a whim and sadly didn't have the stamina! Still, it seems like you're racing your own marathon and keeping a pretty steady pace. 17,000 words is awesome!

Rachel Green said...

Thanks for the linkage :)

I failed last year when I boke both leg and PC. Hopefully this year will go better :)

The Frogblogger said...

Would the TLC help me to cut down on my affliction (verbal dysentery) ... or would it have the same effect as a dose of salts?! ;-)

Jenny Beattie said...

Ange, thanks, yes, I am getting on well at the moment! Fingers crossed for the next few weeks. I couldn't begin to think about Nano... well I've thought but it would be a fast track to total meltdown.

Rachel, no problem. Oooh, yes, I remember. Good luck this year.

Frogblog, LOL.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I thought about doing it, but have too many other things that I need to concentrate on really, so gave it a miss.

Rose Red Art said...

Awww... thanks JJ. I have to say I do think I'm mad trying this. But so far so good. I've done 4598 words in two days. Not as great as Lazy P but still pretty darn good!

And well done for your own word count! Sounds like you have it all sorted!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I feel exactly the same. And congratulations on your 17,000 words. You ARE doing well!

Rick said...

I was going to sign up for Nanowrimo, but just got back from a road trip to Toronto, I'm going to hustle over and see if it's too late to joing still.

Thanks for the reminder!!

Karen said...

I had a go at NaNo last year, and it was good discipline but I didn't finish the 50,000 words. Sounds like you're doing really well - deadlines are great motivation :o)

(verification letters spelt usucked. How rude!)

Carol said...

You are doing absolutely brilliantly hon....17,000 words....blimey!!!

I've just gone and had a look at the Nano thingumy and I have to say that it sounds a bit scary!!!

C x